on metal surfaces that are too thin to be chipped or wire
brushed. The three types of removers generally used are
flammable, nonflammable, and water-base alkali. They
are hazardous materials, and you must strictly observe
safety precautions when you use them. Use these
removers only in well-ventilated spaces. Dont use the
alkali type on aluminum or zinc because of its corrosive
The procedures you follow when using paint and
varnish removers are the same regardless of type. Wet
the surface with a smooth coat of the remover and let it
soak thoroughly until the paint or varnish is loosened.
Then lift the paint off with a hand scraper. After the
surface is cleaned, wet it again with the remover and
wipe it off with a rag. Finally, wash the surface
thoroughly with paint thinner or soap and water. The
final rinse gets rid of any wax left by the remover and
any acids that may have worked into the grain of the
Paint and Varnish Remover Safety Precautions
The following safety precautions should be
observed when you use paint and varnish removers:
Never use paint and varnish removers around an
open flame. Some types are highly flammable.
Do not use removers in confined spaces because
their dangerous anesthetic or toxic properties can
kill or cause injury if you are exposed to them for
Do not use paint or varnish removers if you have
an open cut or sore on your hand unless you wear
Do not let the remover touch your skin; watch out
particularly for your face, eyes, and mouth. If
paint or varnish remover should come in contact
with the skin, wash it off immediately with cold
water; seek medical attention as soon as possible
if it gets into your eyes or mouth.
Never use turpentine or mineral spirits as hand
cleaners because they are absorbed through the
skin pores. Gasoline also is dangerous and must
never be used. To clean paint or varnish remover
from your hands, use soap and water only.
PAINTING SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Painting can be dangerous if one is careless. Many
paints are highly flammable, others are poisonous, and
some are both flammable and poisonous. To increase
your chances of remaining alive and healthy, observe
the following precautions:
Keep paint off your skin as much as possible.
Wash your hands, arms, and face with soap and
warm water before eating. Do not put your
fingers, food, or cigarettes in your mouth if they
are contaminated with paint.
Be sure you have adequate ventilation, and wear
an approved paint/spray respirator whenever
there is reason to believe the ventilation is
inadequate in the place you are painting. At the
first sign of dizziness, leave the space and get to
Do not smoke, use an open flame, or use
spark-producing tools in the vicinity of painting
Use only explosion-proof lights near painting
Do not wear nylon, orlon, or plastic clothing or
covering. These materials generate static
electricity, which may spark and ignite paint
Do not carry matches or cigarette lighters or
wear steel buckles or metal shoe plates. Too often
one forgets and strikes a match or lights a
cigarette lighter in areas filled with explosive
vapors. Also, steel buttons, buckles, and tabs can
strike sparks that are invisible to your eyes but
are capable of igniting paint vapors.
When pouring solvents, make sure the containers
are touching each other to prevent sparks.
Never paint during electrical storms.
Keep food and drink away from areas being