13. The survival kits in large lifeboats are
designed to sustain 15 to 20 people on regular
rations for what maximum number of days?
14. You can identify the red flare end of a Mk 13
Mod 0 distress signal kit in the dark by which
of the following indicators?
1. A metal pull ring
2. Beadlike projections
3. The absence of beadlike projections
4. The absence of a metal pull ring
15. Under good weather conditions, the dye
marker will retain some color for what
maximum length of time?
1. 1 hour
2. 2 hours
3. 3 hours
4. 4 hours
16. In a lifeboat, what piece of survival equipment
is provided to assist you in filling containers
1. Rain catcher tube
2. Rain cistern
3. Rain bucket
17. In a lifeboat, continuous exposure to the
elements will not harm which of the following
pieces of survival or signal equipment?
4. Signal mirrors
18. In a lifeboat, you may survive on as little as
how much water a day?
1. 10 ounces
19. People are known to live for 4 weeks or longer
in a survival situation if a sufficient amount of
water is available.
20. Which of the following forms of sea life or
birds should NEVER be eaten?
4. Sea turtles
21. Which of the following sea birds is/are edible?
4. All of the above
22. At what minimum water temperature are you
at risk for a serious condition called
23. What means should you use to treat frostbitten
hands and fingers?
1. Rub them
2. Exercise them
3. Place them in cold water
4. Place them in contact with a warm part of
24. Assume that you have just fallen overboard.
What is the most important survival technique
for you to remember?
1. Remain calm and try to stay afloat
2. Swim after the ship and call for help
3. Remove your shoes and other heavy
4. Keep moving your arms and feet for
protection from sharks
25. Helicopters use a maximum of how many
basic devices for recovering personnel in the