12. Approximately how many ships did the
British loose to privateers?
13. What is the oldest U.S. Navy ship still in
14. Who was president when the U.S. Navy
Department was established?
1. George Washington
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. James Madison
4. John Adams
15. When did the expression Millions for
defense, but not one cent for tribute
1. During the Revolutionary War
2. During the Quasi War
3. During the War of 1812
4. During the Barbary States War
16. Who led the naval forces into Tripoli Harbor
and destroyed the captured US frigate USS
1. Stephen Decatur
2. James Lawrence
3. Thomas Truxtun
4. Edward Preple
17. The War of 1812 was caused, in part, by the
efforts to accomplish which of the following
1. Establishing a naval base in the
2. Paying ransom payments to the Barbary
3. Stopping forced service of American
seamen in the British navy
4. Forcing France to establish trade relations
with the United States
18. During the War of 1812, what ship earned the
nickname Old Ironsides?
19. On which of the following Great Lakes did
Captain Oliver Hazard Perry defeat a British
squadron, cutting British supply lines?
1. Lake Superior
2. Lake Michigan
3. Lake Huron
4. Lake Erie
20. What ship was one of the first ships-of-the
4. North Carolina
21. The first half of the 19th century saw a
development that was to change navies all over
the world. What was that development?
1. Task forces
2. Steam power
3. Steel hulls
4. Practical submarines
22. In 1843, what invention incorporated in the
USS Princeton paved the way for progress in
the development of propulsion systems?
1. The screw propeller
2. The diesel engine
3. The coal-fired boiler
4. The stern paddle wheel
23. In 1854, Commodore Perry signed a treaty that
opened up what market to American trade?