CHAPTER COMPREHENSIVE TEST
IN ANSWERING QUESTIONS 1 THROUGH 4,
REFER TO FIGURE A AND SELECT THE
TERM USED TO DEFINE THE QUESTION.
1. General boat handling.
2. The general work on the ships deck and the
3. Anchoring, mooring, cargo handling, and
towing are examples of this type of
4. Care and use of line.
5. It is important for you to know shipboard
equipment terminology for which of the
1. Equipment changes all the time
2. You will have to inventory the equipment
once each month
3. You will probably assist the deck force in
various seamanship evolutions
4. There are different names for the same
6. What is ground tackle?
1. Equipment bolted to the deck
2. Equipment used to anchor and moor with
3. Equipment electrically connected to
4. Equipment used to refuel the ship
7. Which of the following is/are the most
commonly used anchors aboard Navy ships?
3. Both 1 and 2 above
4. Locking pin
8. How long is a standard shot of anchor chain?
1. 15 fathoms
2. 20 fathoms
3. 25 fathoms
4. 30 fathoms
9. What device is used to secure shots of anchor
1. Link pins
2. Bending shackles
3. Detachable links
4. Securing shackles
10. What types of anchor windlasses are used for
lifting the ships anchor?
1. Vertical shaft type only
2. Horizontal shaft type only
3. Vertical shaft and horizontal shaft types
4. Lateral shaft type
11. What device engages the chain links when
hauling anchors on board ship?
3. Gypsy heads
4. Bending shackles
12. Which of the following platforms is/are used
in the construction of an accommodation
1. Middle platform
2. Upper platform
3. Lower platform
4. Both 2 and 3 above
A. DECK SEAMANSHIP
B. BOAT SEAMANSHIP
C. MARLINESPIKE SEAMANSHIP